Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Hello, Internet.

This blog is sort of an experiment...you see, Heather and I have been enjoying exercise for a while, and have been slowly but surely cleaning up our diets for a few years. This blog is a way for us to share recipes, workouts, and all that fun stuff. Also, it takes the pressure off of the folks who I text-message obsessively after every run, reporting all of my stats!
Yesterday's Workout and Dinner:
Yesterday H and I did the 30-minute "eccentric upper" workout from P90X3. It was really difficult with a lot of slow, controlled movement to keep the muscle groups under strain for longer. I loved it, but I don't think H was a big fan. It was mostly push-ups, pull-ups and dumbbells and she's more of a cardio-gal. 
For dinner we had AMAZING grilled chicken quesadillas with veggies and mango salsa. 
LOOK AT THAT. This recipe is one of about 8 or 9 that we have tried from www.skinnytaste.com
While I discourage the use of the word "skinny" (it's pejorative), this site has TONS of delicious, filling, mostly healthy/clean recipes. This is one of my favorites and can be found here:
You'll have to follow a link to the "Avocado Mango Salsa" but it's worth it. We put the guacamole on the side. 
The other thing I like about this website is that the Nutritional Info is at the bottom of every recipe for all of us calorie counters, so you'll know exactly what you're getting yourself into for fat/carbs/protein and more. 
We eat a lot of grilled chicken these days. It's a good lean protein source, so we make it in as many ways as possible to avoid getting tired of it. 
Diet-wise we are far from perfect but we *try* to eat red meat once a week or less, minimize processed foods (anything in a can or box) and focus on whole foods. I don't eat or drink dairy. Once a week we go out to a restaurant and eat whatever we want as a cheat/treat meal. We don't drink soda, though we do drink tea and coffee. Usually no white bread, no fried food. Again, a lot of these are goals, not rules. I like the term "flexetarian"...not making things restrictive or dogmatic but trying to eat lots of different kinds of healthy meals. (Though, I personally try to be restrictive of cholesterol and sodium.)
Ok, that's enough for now...I'll do my best to not write too much on these. 

No comments:

Post a Comment