Friday, February 7, 2014

Without Soda / Runner's Withdrawal

I used to drink a lot of soda. I'm not sure what the actual daily number was, but that fact itself is perhaps a little alarming. A few years ago I switched to Diet soda (I'm a big believer in baby-steps), and after a week or so I got used to the difference in taste...but it turns out, diet sodas can be even worse for you! 
Our first step towards "kicking the habit" was to not buy soda or have it in the house--starting with what you can control. When we went to restaurants we'd have soda, but none at home. This weaned us pretty well but I really missed carbonation and caffeine. For the caffeine, we started brewing big pots of unsweetened plantation mint tea, and then cooling it. So now we usually have a glass canister full just in case. For carbonation, I have always loved Mexican mineral waters like Topo Chico. I once opened a bottle and forgot about it for 45 minutes, came back and it was still super fizzy...great stuff. 
Since the New Year, we're completely off of soda, and I don't miss it at all...that was helped along with a little visualization I think of when I'm considering a soda, but it's too gross for me to mention here...suffice it to say it involves sewer rats. 

On another note:
It has been snowy and Icy in our area for more than a week. I don't have access to a treadmill right now, so I have been jonesing for a good run. I started running in earnest around Thanksgiving and have really fallen in love with it. The only downside is that I can't keep any weight on! (I'd prefer to be about 10 healthy lbs heavier) 
I read somewhere (and believe it) that once you finish mile 1, your body will feel like the air is 20 degrees warmer. This is true, I've found myself finishing runs with my jacket, hat and gloves in my arms! I have gotten up to around 6 miles since November, and plan to run my first 10k in March. But...I haven't been able to run in a week, so I know the next one will hurt. The coldest I will run in is mid 30s. Tomorrow the weather should be around 40 at the warmest, so I plan on getting back out there. I knew I was serious about running when I bought a pair of tights. 
(I was not driving when I took this photo, fyi)

No comments:

Post a Comment